Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Special Purpose Clothing for Potential Saints

In visiting churches that feature statues of saints, I am struck by what seems to be their unerring sense of fashion for the occasion.  I mean, it's like they had a premonition, "I'm a virgin, and I'm going to be martyred for my faith; I better put on the white dress."  Or "I'm going to do something saintly; I'd better trim my beard and put on my very best red robe."  Or "I'm going to be a Doctor of the Church; maybe I'd better dress more for the part and not wear my golfing clothes today."

Yes, I don't think any saint had been carried off for execution in the Colosseum by Roman soldiers while wearing a bathrobe and wearing her hair in curlers.

Maybe saints are always appropriately-dressed.  And that's one reason why they are saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment